


This is my ESL class. I have truly enjoyed teaching adult night classes over the last few months. The students come from all over (Sudan, Africa, Central and South America, Burma and Vietnam...to name a few) but primarily Mexico. Since Thanksgiving is an American holiday, we decided to celebrate Thanksgiving Mexican style (random, I know). At the beginning of class we passed along a sign up sheet for food assignments. One of the students from Mexico blurted in his broken English, "Tell Vietnam no can bring rats". I immediately shot him a look and explained that we needed to be respectful of all cultures in our class. The man from Vietnam then responded in his broken English, "It ok, rats make you strong." Apparently, in Vietnam, eating rat is not only common, but seen as a great source of protein! Needless to say, we did not have rat on the menu.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
A MEXICAN THANKSGIVING....
Posted by Ashley at 9:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I love this! I'm now going to be looking for an opportunity to use the phrase "Rats make you strong" over the next couple weeks.
This truly is the best story!!!Hope no one slipped some in on you!!
Rat that is!!
Ha ha that is too funny!
I'm laughing out loud--that TOTALLY happened in your class.
I didn't know you were teaching an ESL class! How cool are you?!? Miss you!
go, mangs...teaching ESL! i bet they love having a teacher like you. hope you had a nice christmas!!
Hey can you send us your address to ostlerdeb@hotmail.com? Thanks. ;) hope all is well.
Post a Comment